Swedish Sandbakkels With Strawberry-Cream
- Ready In:
15-20 filled tarts
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar (baker's)
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon extract (vanilla*, almond, lemon*, or rum extract, to suit)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or lemon extract)
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar (baker's)
- 1⁄2 finely chopped strawberry (fresh is best, but you can use frozen)
- strawberry (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Use butter or cooking spray to lightly grease 2" Sandbakkels tins.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Mix in the well-beaten egg followed by 2 cups of flour and 1 teaspoons of flavoring.
- The soft batter should pull away from the sides of your mixing bowl; if not, add additional flour, 1 tablespoons at a time, until it does.
- With floured fingers, pinch off about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough.
- Roll into a ball, press into a tin, and use your thumbs to press the dough out to cover the bottom and sides of the tin in a thin layer (Tip: This dough is forgiving and as pliant as play dough. If you haven’t pinched off enough dough to line the tin, simply add more. If you pinched too much, use your finger to scrape off the excess that pushes up past the top of the tin, adding it back to the remaining dough).
- Place tins on cookie sheet and bake on center rack of oven for 10 to 15 minutes (checking at 10 minutes. Their butter content causes these cookies to burn fairly quickly).
- Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Turn the tins over on a baking rack or clean counter.
- If the tarts don’t fall out of their own accord, tap lightly on the backs of the tins with a knife or spoon to loosen.
- Let cookies cool completely before filling. (Yield: 30 tarts).
- Prior to serving, stir together whipping cream, vanilla or lemon extract, sugar, and chopped strawberries.
- Whip mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon whipped strawberry cream into the inverted cookies.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries.
- Serve immediately if possible; can be refrigerated for up to 5 hours.
- (You will have extra tarts; double filling recipe, to fill all tarts.).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I tried these out at a possibility for my DD's upcoming wedding. I cut the recipe in half and even with adding extra flour the dough was pretty soft, I was concerned about adding too much and having tough tarts. They were easy to put in the pans, I have one ike a cup cake pan that makes small fluted tart shell then I also tried some mini tarts. For the big ones I used a generous small scoop of dough, for the small ones 1/2 scoop. I have a tamper that came with my Pamper Chef mini muffin pan that work well with the small ones, all I had to do was press the floured tamper into the dough and if formed the tart shell. After cooking I realized I should have made the bottoms thinner, as they were still a little doughy in the center, but the rest was cooked - this will take some practice, but the method makes short work of forming the tart shells. All popped out of the pans easily. One thing I found is you really need to dock the pastry before baking or they really puff up. I added a little almond extract along with the vanilla and wished I'd use more as I thought they were a little bland. They small ones are a perfect size, I filled them with the whipped cream and berries (I used strawberries from my garden, yum) - they went down in 3 dainty bites! Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT 6 Family Picks by one of the Unrulies Under the Influence.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Someone special recently gifted me with membership ~ I don't know who, but know they are special :D! Thank you! It is much appreciated.... My parents owned a grocery store when I was growing up, so there's my love of FOOD! My friends all love to drink, so there's my profession! I stopped bartending 5 years ago, when my son was born, but still 'do' private parties. DH and I did a 'Supper Club' for a while, but life kept getting in the way! I am a SAHM, to a rambunctious 5 y.o....I LOVE cooking and collect cookbooks and anything kitchen related! I'm kinda picky, but will just drop an ingredient or make a sub, so I can still try a recipe. I'm looking forward to many years of enjoyment here, and hope to participate in some events soon! Thanks to everyone for posting such great recipes, and if you review mine, just know that I appreciate the time and effort involved in the reviewing process! <img src="http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/z_fbp/ZaarFBPwk4.jpg"> <img src="http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af225/z_fbp/ZaarFBPwkWC.jpg"> <img src="http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/officialmemberofthebevtaggame.jpg"> <a href="http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=220958"><img src="http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vseward/Bevy/beveragetagcookbook1.gif"></a> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/KBparticipation.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/RSC%20Lucky%2013/ParticipationSticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/CookbookParticipation2.jpg"> Partnered with chef#724631 <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg" border="0" alt="Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> Co-hosted: <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/Animation6.gif"> <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/northwestgal/redbannercopy.jpg" border="0" alt="New Kids Participation Banner"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src ="http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/diner_photos/lazymecookathon.jpg"> <a href="http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/ribosomal/?action=view¤t=BBB2b3.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m276/ribosomal/BBB2b3.jpg" border="0" alt="BBBZWT%"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/BBG-AMbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7505/mybanner4a394ee84d5f0.jpg" > <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/holidaybadge.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/akplongmeadow/MyBannerMaker_Banner3.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/dcmac/PAC%20Fall%2009/Image1.jpg"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/holidayprmr2.jpg"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Banners/ST_AMBADGE.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Holiday-plaid_HPI.gif" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src= "http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/alligirl65/thesnowmorning-3-1-1.jpg">