Swedish Pot Roast
photo by Tinkerbell
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 4 lbs rump roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef bouillon
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 peppercorns
- 8 allspice berries
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Rub beef roast with salt and pepper.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat olive oil; brown roast on all sides.
- Add bouillon, onion, anchovies, bay leaf, peppercorns, allspice, vinegar, and molasses.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat; strain pot liquid, discarding solids and returning the liquid to the saucepan.
- Stir flour and cream into the liquid; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Serve gravy with sliced pot roast.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious combination of flavors! I used EVERY ingredient listed in half proportions, as my roast was just over 2 pounds. My family was afraid of the anchovies, as was I, but all the flavors blended quite well for a new & different pot roast. We loved the gravy! Thanks for posting, Papa! Made & enjoyed for ZWT-6 Team Xtra Hot Dishes.
Delicious pot roast. The gravy is very flavorful; I was eating it with a spoon! I did not have molasses so I substituted honey. Really good served with mashed potatoes, peas, carrots, Cole slaw, and fresh Italian bread slices. For the Cole slaw, I used a portion of bagged Cole slaw, available in the supermarket, and set aside the rest of it to make fried cabbage or cabbage soup. I set aside some cooked meat for sandwiches, and am making a shepherds pie with leftover mashed potatoes on top today.