Swedish Pot Roast
From a long-time friend's cookbook compilation.
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 20mins
- 2 -3 lbs chuck roast or 2 -3 lbs beef brisket
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar or 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 4 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 medium potatoes, quartered
- 6 carrots, cut in bite sized chunks
- Rub the spices on all sides of the meat and brown. You may add oil, if necessary.
- Add onions, brown sugar, bay leaves, vinegar. Add water to cover the meat. Place veggies on top.
- Cook overnight on low in the crockpot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
After reading this recipe I thought yum then my next thought was I go to bed at nine, eat at 6:30, 22 hours in the crock pot? Plus I wanted to eat it tonight! I get up with my husband at five and I am hoping by starting it early enough on high for a few hours and then cooking the rest of the way on low it will be good. That will be a little over 12 hours. The only thing I did different was added vegetable broth in place of the water and salt. All day the aroma was killing us, it smelled so good. I left it on high until noon and then I turned it to low, and it was done by 5pm. The flavor was incredibleâ€¦my husband doesnâ€™t want me to cook a roast any other way but this recipe from now on. Your stars are endlessâ€¦ Thank you for a Superb recipe!!!Reply
see 8 more