Swedish Coffee Braids (Bread)
- Ready In:
2 coffee braids
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup softened Crisco
- 1 egg, at room temperature and beaten
- 4 -5 cups white flour or 4 -5 cups bread flour
- chopped walnuts
- 1 egg, beaten (for brushing over each roll before baking)
- melted butter
- Soften yeast with 1/4 cup warm water and 1/2 tsp sugar and set aside.
- In mixing bowl combine scalded milk, sugar, salt and Crisco, cool to lukewarm, and add yeast and 1 of the eggs.
- Gradually add flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead in remaining flour until smooth and satiny, about 5-8 minutes.
- Cover and let rise until double.
- Divide dough in two and on a floured surface with a rolling pin roll out each dough to about 12x9 size.
- Brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar and chopped walnuts.
- Starting with 12-inch side, roll up jelly roll style seal seams and ends and place each roll seam side down on cookie sheet (greased).
- Take scissors (or knife) and snip part way through each bread roll one inch apart in a tractor tread style.
- Cover and let rise again.
- Brush both bread rolls with another beaten egg and sprinkle nuts over both.
- Bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and if desired ice with favorite icing recipe.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!