Susan's Sweet and Tangy Meatloaf
I snagged the basic recipe for this from AllRecipes.com but have changed it a great deal to suit my family's tastes. My husband is not a fan of meatloaf but BEGS for this one, as do my 2 and 4 year old. It's super easy and can be made early in the day and then just spread the sauce on top and bake. It's sweet, tangy and a bit spicy! I bet everyone will ask for seconds!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (I add more!)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (I just eyeball a few good sized dashes)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (can omit if you don't want a kick, we love it!)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup apricot preserves (original recipes called for pineapple preserves but we prefer apricot)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, worcestershire, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper. Mix well and place into a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile. in a separate medium bowl, stir together the ketchup, brown sugar and apricot preserves and pour over the meatloaf.
- Bake another 20 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I really enjoyed this recipe. Easy to make, and I loved how the meatloaf stayed together well after it was cooked--didn't fall apart when I tried to slice it (that always happens to me!) I liked the sweeter sauce, but hubby said he thought it was too sweet. But he liked the meatloaf otherwise. Next time, will put the sauce on half the meatloaf and make his ol' side plain. Thanks for sharing.1Reply