Super Bowl Stew
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 lbs bottom round steaks, cubed
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 small green peppers, chunked
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 3 carrots, cubed
- 4 potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1 small turnip, peeled & chunked
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled & chunked
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes or 5 -6 drops red pepper seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon marjoram
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Combine flour, pepper and salt. Dredge beef cubes well on all sides with flour mixture. Reserve remaining flour for thicker gravy.
- Brown meat in oil in large Dutch oven, working in batches if necessary. Remove meat. Saute onion, green peppers, celery, garlic in pan drippings for 10 minutes. Add carrots, potatoes, turnips, rutabaga, broth, red pepper seasoning, marjoram and parsley.
- Bring to a boil. Add meat.
- Cover; simmer 1 1/2 hours until meat is tender, adding more broth if mixture becomes too dry. For a thicker gravy, mix together 1/4 cup cold water and reserved flour mixture in small bowl and make a smooth paste. Remove meat and vegetables with a slotted spoon into serving bowl.
- Stir flour mixture into pan liquids. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Pour over meat and vegetables.
- Serve with a crusty French bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in sunny So. Cal with my hubbie and two daughters. We live close to the beach and spend as much time there as possible- especially my husband who surfs as much as possible! We love to go camping, travel to Hawaii and hang out around the house with friends and neighbors (when I'm not shuttling kids here and there!) I enjoy cooking and have a passion for cookbooks, but since I found this website and allrecipes.com I can't find an excuse to buy any more!