- Ready In:
- Cut ends off cucumbers and wash.
- Pack the cucumbers in jar with dill and garlic to taste.
- (I prefer fresh dill from my garden--usually two to four dill heads. Four garlic cloves seems to hit the happy medium mark for the whole family--the garlic flavor does get stronger as they stand though.) Stir together the warm water, vinegar and canning salt, then pour over the cucumbers.
- Place the slice of dark rye bread on top.
- Put lid on loosely.
- Set in the sun for four days.
- Take the rye bread off.
- Chill for two days and then you can use them.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
If there's one thing I have plenty of, it's sunshine. After that, cucumbers come in a close second. I never tried that trick with the bread before, but it didn't hinder the recipe at all, and the cukes came out crunchy and delicious! I used a 1 1/2 quart jar gauged by the amount of liquid called for. Next time I will probably triple the recipe, these cukes go fast! Thanks Cindy Lynn!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am currently a stay at home Mom and wife (aka: homemaker, domestic engineer, chauffeur, etc.). My husband and I made this choice about 2 1/2 years ago. At the time I was averaging 72 hours/week +. Our kids were complaining that they never saw me, and one of them was even getting in trouble (too little supervision apparently). We got the troubled teen through high school, and she is currently preparing for college. Things have improved a lot so I am considering going back to work part-time while the kids are gone to school (if the right opportunity presents itself). <br> <br>I love to cook, especially trying new recipes. I get tired of the same ol', same ol'. I also love reading cookbooks and the history of recipes. I always hated doing all the dishes afterwards, so I did a lot of one dish meals whenever possible. Recently, my husband bought me a new dishwasher, so now I am cooking up a storm! Everyone is loving it. <br> <br>I look forward to making new friends in Recipezaar, trying out new recipes, and hope some of you will try some of mine. Please, if you try my recipes, take time to post a little note telling me about your experience and any modifications you may have made. I just love to experiment and try new things in the kitchen! :-))