Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffed Baked Eggplant
- Ready In:
- 1 large firm eggplant
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) jar sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained,chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, cubed or shredded
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- parmesan cheese, for topping
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise; remove the pulp, leaving a shell about 1/2" thick.
- Butter the inside of the shell.
- Dice the eggplant pulp and set aside.
- Melt 1/2 the butter in a saucepan; stir in the onion and sautee until straw-colored, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the diced eggplant pulp, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are browned, about 5-8 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into the eggplant shells; sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with the breadcrumbs, which have been lightly sauteed in the remaining butter; place stuffed eggplant in a shallow baking pan.
- Pour 1/2" boiling water into the pan; bake in a preheated 325*F.
- oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Cut and serve hot with pasta, bread, or salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Liked the idea so we revamped it a little. We all agreed at dinner that I will use the same concept next time however I will either slice or peel & chunk the entire eggplant & then bake it. The flavor was good. I would also use the same amounts except I would use 2 eggplants to make it a little more substantial. Thanks for the recipe. 40 mins to prep... 20 mins baking & 10 mins to eat. lol