Summer Orange Cake - Tort Diplomat
photo by Violet
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 15mins
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 200 g sugar
- 500 ml milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 20 g gelatin powder
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 6 -8 large oranges
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil, and 2-3 tbsp flour to coat the pan
- Coat an 8 or 9 inch pan with oil and dust with flour or use cake release. Preheat oven to 325 F degrees.
- Making the Cake: Mix eggs and sugar in the mixer till it doubles in volume.
- Add the oil and mix it on medium high, then add the flour, orange zest, and the baking powder mixed with the lemon juice. Mix or beat for 2-3 more minutes.
- Poor batter in prepared pan and drop the pan gently on the table to release the big bubbles. Bake on middle rack for 45-55 min and tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for about 10 min and invert it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Preparation of the Cream:
- Prepare custard first. Mix together with a spoon the hot water and the gelatin in a small bowl till the gelatin dissolves.
- Whisk 5 egg yolks, milk, sugar,flour, and vanilla in a pan till is combined and no lumps are present. Place on low heat and cook till it thickens. Let it get to a couple of boils.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool for about 10 min stirring occasionally to prevent a skin forming on top of the custard.
- Meanwhile, peal and slice 3-4 oranges (thin even layers) and cube the rest of the oranges.
- Arrange the orange slices on the bottom and sides of the pan to preference.
- After 10 min mix the gelatin mixture into the custard till it totally dissolves.
- Beat the heavy whipping cream almost stiff peaks.
- Once the custard is cold, add one third of the custard to the whipped up cream, mix it well and add the remainder custard in two parts.
- Bring the mixer to med high and mix well.
- Put a layer of the custard mixture on top of the orange slices and the side of the pan, place a cake layer that has orange juice poured on with a spoon, place another layer of custard mix, cut up oranges and lastly the second layer of cake that has orange juice on it.
- If you have 3 layers of cake you can use them all.
- Make sure you do not cover the last layer of cake with the custard mix. That will be the bottom of the cake.
- Cover the whole pan and cake with saran wrap (see image 8) and refrigerate at least 4-6 hours ( I usually chill it over night).
- When it is time to serve, remove the wrap and invert the cake to a platter or cake board. Finish removing the other wrap that is now on top of the cake.
- Use a serrated knife to cut through the orange slices while holding the oranges gently -- so you won't end up with a mess.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I really enjoy baking, cooking and mostly cookie decorating.