- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 3 egg whites
- 370 g slightly salted butter
- 225 g caster sugar
- 9 egg yolks
- 225 g semolina flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 175 g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon rose essence
- 2 ounces self raising flour
- 3⁄4 cup brandy (optional)
- Preheat oven 180 C and line one 8" cake pan.
- Whip eggs whites to a stiff froth and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add rose essence, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, and almonds. Mix in semolina flour.
- Fold in self raising flour and alternating with the egg whites, a little at a time until well blended.
- Bake for one hour until golden brown, or the cake skewer comes out clean when you stick it inches.
- Remove from pan and leave to cool. Pour brandy over and let it steep for a few hours. Tastes best if you let the brandy steep in the cake for a day.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love trying different kinds of food, playing with flavours. I inherited it from my dad. We used to spend every Sunday, cooking something new. It was like a special day for us to spend time together. Apart from cooking, I also love travelling. My favourite places are Jamaica, and Morocco. Nothing like sitting by the side of the road somewhere, eating Jerk Chicken or a Moroccan Sandwich!