Sugar Cookies (Williams-Sonoma)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 12mins
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, cream the butter until fluffy and pale.
- Add the sugar in 3 additions, beating on low speed for 2 minutes after each addition.
- Beat the egg yolk and vanilla into the butter mixture until well blended.
- Sift the flour and salt together onto a sheet of waxed paper.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low speed or stir with a wooden spoon just until blended.
- Scrape the dough out onto a work surface and divide into 4 equal portions.
- Shape into disks, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; lightly grease 2 baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough disks from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Working with 1 disk at a time, roll out between 2 sheets of waxed paper to a thickness of 1/8 to ¼ inch.
- Using cookie cutters, cut into circles or other shapes.
- Repeat with the remaining dough portions, then gather up the scraps and reroll them.
- If the scraps of dough have become sticky, refrigerate them for 10 minutes before rerolling.
- For best results, do not roll the same dough more than twice.
- Using an offset spatula, transfer the cookies to the prepared pans.
- Sprinkle with the sugar.
- If using intricately shaped cutter, refrigerate the cutout cookies for 15-30 minutes before baking.
- Bake the cookies until they are lightly golden on the bottom, 10-12 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool briefly on the pans on wire racks before transferring them to the racks to cool completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!