Sucre a La Creme With Maldon Salt and Pecans
photo by Food.com
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- oil, for greasing pan
- 1 1⁄2 cups/ 375 ml brown sugar
- 1 cup/ 250 ml 35-percent cream
- 1⁄2 cup/ 125 ml sugar
- 1⁄2 cup/ 125 ml maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon/ 15 ml butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon/ 2 ml vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup/ 125 ml pecans, toasted and roughly chopped, for garnish
- maldon salt, for garnish
- Line an 8-inch (20-cm) square pan with plastic wrap and lightly oil.
- In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cream, sugar, maple syrup, butter and salt and bring to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon to dissolve the sugar.
- Attach a candy thermometer in the center of the pan and simmer over medium heat without stirring until the thermometer reads 237 degrees F (114 degrees C).
- Add the vanilla extract without stirring. Place the pan in a cold water bath. Cool, without stirring, until the thermometer reads 113 degrees F (45 degrees C), about 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the water bath.
- Using an electric mixer or a wooden spoon, stir vigorously until the mixture begins to lighten in color and become creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Please note that if you whip too much, the sugar and cream mixture will harden before you have time to pour it into the pan.
- Pour immediately into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula. Garnish with crushed toasted pecans and Maldon salt.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Let cool for about 1 hour at room temperature or 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Remove from the pan and remove from the plastic wrap. Cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!