Succulent Swiss Pork Roast With Crispy Skin
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 1 large pork neck, 8-10 lbs. with fat and skin attached (do not remove!!)
- 6 -7 tablespoons Dijon mustard, full grain or 6 -7 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1 lime, juice of
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Season-All salt, to taste (or preferably Knorr-Aromat)
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup extra dry vermouth or 1/3 cup dry white wine
- Pre-heat oven 375°F.
- Wash the entire piece of pork under running water (both sides).
- Place meat skin side up in a large roasting pan.
- Cut the top skin with a very sharp knife just up to the beginning of the layer of fat in a criss-cross diamond pattern (just like a baked ham), but not all the way to the meat.
- Generously apply the mustard on both sides all over the roast including the skin.
- Squeeze and evenly apply the juice of half a lime per side of the roast.
- Sprinkle the salt. pepper, season-all and all the dried herbs evenly on both sides of the roast.
- Turn roast so the skin faces upward in the roasting pan.
- Pour 1 cup water into bottom of pan (not on the roast).
- Drizzle olive oil evenly over the top of the roast.
- Place roast into hot oven and cook 1 3/4 hours or until juices flow clear when center of roast is pieced (meat must be done, not pink!).
- Remove roast from pan and start slicing including the crisp-golden skin into 1/4 inch pieces. Keep warm!
- For Gravy/Sauce:.
- Take pan drippings and add 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup Half and Half, 1/3 cup extra dry vermouth or dry white wine and scrape bottom of pan to mix well!
- Season with salt, pepper and season-all to taste. Pour into gravy boat and serve hot with pork roast. Bon Appetit!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!