Stuffed Zucchini / Hairy Melon
photo by FLKeysJen
- Ready In:
- 2 large zucchini (4 medium or 8 small) or 2 large hairy melon (4 medium or 8 small)
- 2 ounces vermicelli, mung bean thread
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 3 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 lb pork, cubed and semi frozen
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons chopped gingerroot
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut zucchini lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Lightly rub olive oil on zucchini set on a cookie sheet pan or a large casserole dish with a cover. Soak noodles in hot water off heat for 5 minutes, drain, and rough chop. Heat oil and saute the onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor pulse pork to mince. Add remaining seasonings. And pulse to mince and blend.
- Toss in the noodles, onions and mushroom into the minced mixture.
- Fill zucchini and or hairy melon.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Unique but also a genuinely satisfying and tasty meal! Both the stuffing and the hairy melon (called "fuzzy squash" at my Asian market) were cooked perfectly. I had never tried it before and we both liked it much better than zucchini or yellow squash; it doesn't have much flavor at all but is perfectly juicy and complements the spicy filling. I used ground chicken. A super creation!