Stuffed Yellow Squash
photo by 2Bleu
- Ready In:
- 4 ounces neufchatel cheese, softened or 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 4 ounces Italian sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons bell peppers, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons carrots, chopped fine
- 2 mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soft bread cubes (or crumbs)
Other Ingredients Needed
- 2 yellow squash
- 1⁄2 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cream cheese and milk in large microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high 1 minute or until cream cheese is melted and mixture is blended.
- Add remaining filling ingredients. Toss to coat and set aside. Take some aluminum foil, and crimple to make a log about 1" high. Use this to support the 'neck' of the yellow squash so they will lay in a horizontal position in your baking dish. Set aside.
- Cut Squash (or zucchinin) in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out seeds to create a boat. Divide filling equally amongst the boats.
- Place boats in a shallow baking dish. Spread 2 Tbsp spaghetti sauce over each boat. Top with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!