Stuffed Green Bell Peppers
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 1hr 11mins
- 6 green bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef or 1 1/2 lbs chuck
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese (optional)
- Directions for stuffed peppers with ground beef and rice.
- Cut tops off peppers; remove seeds and membranes. Chop edible part of tops and set aside. Rinse peppers under cold water. Place peppers in a large pot; cover with salted water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain peppers and set aside.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Sauté chopped green pepper (from tops), chopped onion, and chopped celery for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, crushed garlic, oregano, basil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Gently stir to blend; add ground beef, cooked rice, and 1 cup of the tomato mixture. Mix well. Stuff peppers with meat mixture and place in a 3-quart baking dish. Pour remaining tomato mixture over the stuffed peppers. Bake at 350° for 55 to 65 minutes. If desired, top stuffed peppers with a little shredded Cheddar cheese just before peppers are done; bake until cheese is melted.
- Recipe for stuffed peppers serves 6.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION