Stuffed Eggs Mornay
photo by Corrina W.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups hot milk
- 2 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 12 hard-boiled eggs
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon leaf tarragon, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb (approx 2 slices)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Put 4 T of the butter in container of electric blender with salt, peppers, flour, and 2 cups of the hot milk.
- Cover, whirl for 30 seconds.
- Pour into large saucepan.
- Add remaining hot milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce is thickened and bubbles-about 2 minutes.
- Add Swiss cheese and 4 T of the parmesan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is melted; remove from heat and cover.
- Cut eggs in half lengthwise.
- Empty yolks into a bowl and reserve the whites.
- Heat four more T of butter in a small skillet.
- Saute mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until mixture is almost dry, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in parsley and tarrogon.
- Mash egg yolks with 1/2 C of the sauce; add the mushrooms.
- Fill whites with mushroom mixture.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce in a shallow baking dish and arrange the stuffed eggs in the sauce, stuffing-side up.
- Spoon remaining sauce over.
- Toss bread crumbs and remaining 2 T parmesan cheese with melted butter.
- Sprinkle over eggs.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Bake in a moderate oven at 350 for 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I could not find my recipe for Eggs Mornay and had to turn to zaar - this looked almost identical so I gave it a try. DH craves this dish and I don't make it very often - he didn't notice it was a different recipe so this is a winner too! This is a great brunch recipe and something out of the ordinary. I like that it can be made the day ahead and then baked.