Just got some of the season's first cantalopes and I remembered this recipe. Been doing it so long now, not sure where it came from...probably some magazine. Cooking time includes refrigerator time.
- Ready In:
- 5hrs 25mins
- 2 cantaloupes
- 1 (11 ounce) can fruit cocktail or (11 ounce) can any combo of cutup fruit, drained
- 1 (3 ounce) package of flavored gelatin powder (dark colored,like cherry)
- Cut about 1 inch off top of cantalopes. Scoop out seeds, discard. Using a soup sized spoon, remove a good 1/2 inch of flesh and set aside. Try to make as even as you can inside but don't worry yourself over it! The scooped out flesh can now be diced and used with the rest of the fruit.
- Make jello according to package directions using 13/4 cup hot water.
- Refrigerate until soft set about 11/2 hours.
- Add fruit,stirring well.
- Fill cantalope and place in a bowl so it sits upright. Return to refrigerator and chill until firmly set.
- Slice into 1/2 inch rings and halve the rings.
- Arrange on platter with other fruit choices to make an attractive platter.
- Example: if using strawberry gelatin, garnish with various fresh berries; if using lemon,lime,or orange, garnish with sliced oranges.
- Read box instructions for what fruit NOT to use.
- **Can use diabetic.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I was so excited to make these but when I finally did I had trouble with the jello falling away from the cantaloupe, maybe I didn't take enough flesh from the cantaloupe? Looking at the picture now maybe I cut too thin, I still have 2 in my fridge, I will try to cut into thicker shapes like the picture, I will keep trying to get this right as I love the concept of these!! Thank You!!