Stuffed Cabbage Soup
photo by good2pqueen_5408438
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 15mins
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 - 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 red onion, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, pureed in food processor (plain or Italian-style)
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, whole (plain or Italian-style)
- 1 (10 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
- 1 (16 ounce) jar sauerkraut (found in the cold deli section)
- 8 cups water
- 8 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 2 teaspoons tomato bouillon
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup barley
- Brown ground beef, ground pork & onion in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Pour meat into a large crockpot.
- Add stewed tomatoes, coleslaw mx, sauerkraut, water, bouillon, salt & pepper.
- Add the barley the last hour of cooking.
- Slow-cook on low heat 4 to 8 hours.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I liked the soup but isn't stuffed cabbage supposed to be sweet???? Either way, it came out well. Next time maybe I'd add sugar or honey for sweetening. I'm not sure why I didn't realize it wouldn't be sweet. Should have been obvious to me. OK, change of heart. I'm giving it 5 stars. An ok soup becamme great with addition of barley that I had forgotten. Definitely a make again meal in one :).