Stuffed Cabbage Head (Zelna Hlava Plnena)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef (whatever your prefer)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 2⁄3 cup cream of tomato soup
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- Remove the stump from the cabbage and discard.
- Scoop out and save the inside of the cabbage, leaving about a 1- 1 1/2 inch shell.
- Chop the cabbage you scraped out of the inside.
- Cook onion and garlic in 2 tbsp butter over medium high heat until onion is wilted.
- Add meat and brown.
- Add chopped cabbage, salt, pepper, parsley, and tomato soup.
- Cook covered about 10 minutes.
- Drain and allow to cool, then add egg and mix together well.
- Fill cabbage with mixture (you will usually have some left over unless you pack very tight) and cover with a cabbage leaf securing with a toothpicks.
- Put broth and remaining butter in a large casserole or large pot, Place cabbage in pot (open side up obviously) and cover.
- Cook in over at 375 for about an hour and 15 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am 31, and a cytotechnologist in the Navy (Don't know what it is? Don't feel bad, few people do)with just under 10 years to retirement. Kerrbear is my wife and we have two GREAT kids, Aidyn (4) and Kelsi (2). Next to my family hockey is my favorite thing in the world, watching, playing, anything to do with hockey, in particular my sons hockey and the Vancouver Canucks. After hockey cooking is the other thing I really enjoy. I'm very open to trying new foods of all cuisines, however the one thing I refuse to try is balut. I could not see myself trying it without MUCH help from a bottle of something very strong.