Stuffed Bell Peppers With Rice and Veggies
photo by loof751
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup long grain rice or 1 cup brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons oregano, ground
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 4 large red bell peppers, cut in half on the lenght, white membrane removed
- 1⁄2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
- In a saucepan, heat oil at medium heat. Add garlic and 2/3 of green onions. Cook for 1 minute. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 2 cups water and oregano. Bring to boil. Reduce to low heat, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- In the saucepan, add tomatoes, corn kernels, parmesan, salt, pepper and stir. Spread the rice garnish in bell peppers. In a big skillet, pour remaining water and add stuffed peppers. Cover and cook at medium-low heat for 17 to 20 minutes or until peppers are tender (add water if necessary).
- Sprinkle peppers with mozzarella cheese, cover and cook for 2 minutes or until cheese has melted. Sprinkle with remaining green onions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very good! Because I had leftover rice, I did vary this recipe slightly. Sauteed the onion and garlic, added my leftover rice, 1/2 cup water and the oregano and warmed it up basically. Then I added to the rice mixture--the tomato, creamed corn (as that is what I had), pepper, and parmesan. I omitted the salt. This technique for stuffed peppers was unique but worked great for stove top cooking. Thanks Boometter for sharing. Made for Went to Market tag.
see 3 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><strong><span>I'm the host of Bargain Basement tag game in the cooking game forum. You're welcome to play anytime. You'll be surprised to find great recipes that were never reviewed. <br /></span></strong></p> <p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p> <p><strong><span>I want to say a big thank you to everyone who tries my recipes and post photos. I don't always have the time to say thanks to each of you but be sure it's so appreciated :)</span></strong></p> <p>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</p> <p> </p> <p><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/zwt6%20banners%20and%20photos/captain.jpg alt=width=150 height=200 /></p> <p><br /><img src=http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c175/emmyduckie/zwt/ZwizzleBadge.jpg alt=width=200 height=300 /><br /> <br /><a title=banner3 href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/26630178@N05/3510953178></a><img src=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3387/3510953178_b35b3086a8.jpg alt=banner3 width=500 height=250 /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/captain.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> By Brooke The Cook in WI <br /><img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg alt=/ /> <br /><a href=http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?p=3510511#3510511> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /> <br /></a><a title=Photo href=http://www.flickr.com/photos/boomette1/514183676></a><img src=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/252/514183676_f79b486466_m.jpg alt=good width=240 height=137 /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /></p> <p><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/ZTAA-sm.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></p> <p><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BANNERS/Pets-STKR.jpg alt=width=200 height=200 /></p>