- Ready In:
- In bowl combine flour and salt until blended, make well in centre and gradually add 2 cups of water to make a soft dough, you may need the extra water to obtain this consistency. Let dough stand, covered with bowl, for best dough this will be about 2 hours.
- Cut dough into balls and with rolling pin roll dough to about 8 - 9 inch diameter circles. Lay circles on floured surface. Put a small amount of melted lard or vegetable oil just to keep strudels pliable and easier to stretch.
- In dutch oven brown short ribs in a small amount of oil, continue cooking over medium heat until meat is almost done. Add potatoes and onion and cover with water. Now back to your dough and the fun part --
- Starting in the middle of your circle, start stretching until dough is very thin being careful to try not to put holes in your dough, this is tricky -- Roll stretched dough into long rectangles and lay on table. Repeat this step for all your circles. Cut dough into about 5 inch lengths.
- Place strudels on top of cooking potatoes and meat. Cook covered without peaking for 25 to 35 minutes. Meat can be removed before adding potatoes if it is cooked.
- Remove strudels to platter and potatoes and meat to bowls. Keep warm.
- To drippings in pot add about 3 cups of water to make an jour, add salt and pepper to taste and boil for about 15 minutes to get a good flavor.
- Serve au jour over all.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!