Stroganoff Steak Sandwiches
Great served with a tossed salad. A real guy pleaser if you serve it with a stein of cold beer! NOTE: Times shown below do not include marinating time. DO marinate this overnight -- it really makes for a great tasting steak sandwich!!
- Ready In:
- 1 cup beer (preferably dark, but any beer will do)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, course ground
- 4 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (we use Smoked Spanish Paprika)
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 12 ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon horseradish (more or less, to taste)
- 12 slices French bread (Thick cut, we buy whole loaves and slice, on the diaganol, into 3/4-inch slices)
- Combine beer, oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place Flank Steak in marinade. (A gallon Ziploc bag works great). Refridgerate overnight, turning occassionally.
- In a skillet, melt butter; add paprika and a dash of salt, then add onions and saute until tender. In a small saucepan, mix sour cream and horseradish and heat on low until sour cream is warm.
- Drain steak and barbeque (or broil) 5 - 7 minutes per side for medium rare. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Toast French Bread slightly. (I toast them under the broiler with door slightly open , but you have to WATCH carefully. Don't think you can do anything else, or you'll forget about them and have burned toast!).
- Slice meat very thin across the grain, and on an angle. Pile meat on toast, cover with onions, some sour cream and a sprinkle of paprika, then top sandwich with other toast.