Stringer's Blueberry Boy Bait
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This is supposed to rope in the "boys", thus the name "Boy Bait"! I suppose anyone could be roped in by the taste of this scrumptious dessert.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
For the streusel
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut up
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
For the batter
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, heaping
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 grated lemon, rind of
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint blueberries, rinsed, dried and picked over
- Set the oven at 350ºF.
- Butter and flour an 11 to 12 inch round baking dish.
- For the streusel: In a bowl combine the butter, flour and sugar and work them with a pastry blender or your fingers until they form crumbs.
- For the batter: Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cloves.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and add the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the yolks, one at a time, followed by the milk and lemon rind.
- To finish: In another bowl beat the egg whites with the sugar and salt to medium peaks.
- Stir the flour mixture into the butter-yolk batter. Fold in the beaten whites with half the blueberries.
- Transfer the batter to the baking dish and sprinkle it with the streusel topping. Top with the remaining blueberries.
- Bake the boy bait for 40 to 45 minutes or until it is set on top. Remove it.
- from the oven and leave to settle for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was delicious, great taste and texture. I omitted the lemon zest as I did not have it and substituted 2t. of vanilla,I also halved the amount of clove (did not know if the children would like it). I baked it in a 9x13 pan for 40 min. and it was perfect. I loved seeing some of the blueberries on top it looked so appetizing.Brought it for dessert at my mom's Sat. BBQ and it was gone in no time. Thank you for the great recipe.Reply