String/ Green Beans With Shallots
- Ready In:
- 1 lb french string bean (haricots verts, ends removed)
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large shallots, large diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Blanch the string beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for 1-1/2 minutes only.
- Drain immediately and immerse in a bowl of ice water.
- Heat the butter and oil in a very large saute pan or large pot(12" diameter) and saute the shallots with crrushed red pepper flakes, if using, on medium heat for 5-10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned.
- Drain the string beans and add to the shallots with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper, tossing well.
- Heat only until the beans are hot.
- *If you are using regular string beans, blanch them for about 3 minutes, until they're crisp-tender.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made these for Thanksgiving. They were good but no one really raved. I love Ina but her beans were too crisp after this process for our liking. The seasoning lacked something too. I think next time more shallots, some garlic and cooking the beans longer till more tender. It was okay and a nice accompaniment to the other sides. Thanks for posting Manami. Enjoy! ChefDLH.
I REALLY liked these green beans. They are my second favorite green bean recipe now (next to Emeril Green's Green Beans with Pork and Garlic ( http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/emeril-green-beans-pork.html ). This will be a frequent addition to my table. Thanks for the recipe!<br/>(...and for those who can't remember...shallots are the little brown bulbs that look like garlic.)
I also used green beans from the garden. I did not pre cook them and I recommend that you follow the recipe. The recipe was good and I would make it again but I would add a bit of garlic or chili. I think for most folks the recipe is great as it is but lacked a bit of zip for my taste buds. Thanks for posting DiScharf. Made again 12 Dec 2010 Used loads of shallots, steamed the beans for 5 minutes, used 1 tsp chili flakes and we loved it