Crispy Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole
photo by GaylaJ
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place potatoes in large pot of water and cook until tender.
- Drain, cool slightly and peel.
- Cut into chunks.
- Combine the half-and-half and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add potato to egg mixture, beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Spoon potato mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine flour and sugar in a food processor; pulse to combine.
- Add chilled butter, pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Stir in pecans; sprinkle over potato mixture.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 25 minutes more or until the topping is browned and the potatoes are heated through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this to take along to a a Thanksgiving dinner. This is a very forgiving recipe. I only used 2 lbs of sweet potato, not 5 but I forgot and followed the recipe, including the topping, for 5 lbs - no worries, it was sweet but not icky sweet like the stuff with marshmallo topping. Then, my son tipped the casserole on the way to dinner - no worries, I just mixed-in the topping and it tasted fine. I'm sure it would have been even better without all the mistakes :).
see 2 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Susan and I live in Oldtown, Idaho. My husband and I have 3 horses and enjoy riding in the backcountry and camping with our horses. I enjoy cooking and quilting when we are at home.