Strawberry Topping for Waffles
- Ready In:
- 1 (425 g) package frozen strawberries
- 2 teaspoons sugar (to taste)
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, use less for a thinner sauce, more for a thicker sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and serve over waffles warm or serve chilled over waffles if desired.
- Make a great ice cream topping as well!
Join The Conversation
This was perfect! I was looking for a strawberry topping for a cheesecake I made. I used 4 tsp of cornstarch, and that made it just the right consistency. However, I used a LOT more than 2 tsp of sugar. I added at least 4 tablespoons, maybe more. The frozen strawberries I used had a LOT of ice clumped around them so that probably gave me a little more water than usual, but it seemed to work out. I chilled it until the next day, and then poured it over the cheesecake. Thanks for the recipe!
This turned out just okay for us. Even though I used 3 tsp of cornstarch, my topping was not sauce-like at all, in fact, the strawberries looked the same as they came out of the package even after 30 minutes of simmering. I ended up having to add at least 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water to get any kind of pourable result. I forgot to double check and make sure my sauce was sweet enough, and with just 2 tsp of sugar it was very tart. My fault for not tasting as the directions stated, but it was overall a bit of a disappointment unfortunately. I'm sure it is a fantastic recipe, it just didn't work out for me.