Strawberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This recipe is based on one from the BHG cookbook, but I made a few changes to it. I keep going back to the pan and sneaking another bite, so I've had quite a few pieces of it now!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cold
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup sour milk or 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold
- Mix 1/4 c sugar with cornstarch, set aside.
- Simmer strawberries and water until tender. Mix in sugar mixture and simmer until thickened, stirring often. Set aside.
- Combine 1/2 c flour, 3/4 c sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Cut in 1/4 c butter till four has course, lumpy texture. Make a well in bowl.
- In another bowl, beat up egg with vanilla, sour cream and sour milk.
- Pour egg mixture into flour and stir until everything is moist. Batter will be lumpy.
- Spread about three quarters of the batter into an ungreased 9x9 pan. pour fruit over that. drop the remaining batter in small clumps over the fruit.
- Mix up the 1/4 c flour with brown sugar and cut in 2T butter. Sprinkle over coffee cake.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes until golden brown. My strawberry filling bubbled over in the oven, so I recommend putting some foil under the pan.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION