Strawberry Rice Pudding
I have only had rice pudding once and it is my mom's favorite. Adding fresh strawberries can only make this pudding better. The recipe is from Just Berry Recipe's website.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons margarine or 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon Equal sugar substitute, or 3 or 4 pkts. EQUAL, to taste
- 2 1⁄2 cups strawberries, fresh and sliced
- skim milk (optional)
- In a two quart saucepan bring to a boil the two cups of skim milk, ground nutmeg, ground allspice, and salt. Stir in the rice, cover, and cook over low heat for approximately 30 minutes or until most of the milk is absorbed. Stir occasionally while cooking.
- Remove pan from, stir in margarine and Equal sugar substitute. Let cool, than cover and chill in the refrigerator. Just before serving, gently fold in strawberries and add additional milk if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This didn't quite turn out to be a PUDDING for me, but I think that's partly my fault. I used brown rice, so it took longer to cook, and so I should have used more liquid; I also skipped the margarine / butter. I quartered the recipe to get one serving, and used almond milk and Splenda. I added some more almond milk right before eating it, and that helped the texture some, but I think the rice needed to cook longer and in more liquid. Made for Photo Swap; thanks for posting!
Initially not sure how to rate this one. My pudding took close to 40 minutes for the rice to cook and I had to add an additional 1/2 cup of water to maintain the creaminess of the pudding. Also my yield was just over a cup, enough for 2 or 3 not 4 or 6. Given that, I cut the berries to just 1 1/2 cups. All that said, the pudding was quite a treat and pairs nicely with the berries. I added 1/2 a vanilla bean to the milk with added a wonderful flavor to the clean taste of the pudding. Thanks Lauralie.