Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait
- Ready In:
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- 3⁄4 cup rhubarb, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 3⁄4 cups strawberries, quartered
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup heavy cream (35%)
- 1 -2 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or 1 tablespoon other orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup creme fraiche
- Strawberry Rhubarb Compote: In a medium saucepan over medium low heat add rhubarb, strawberries, cinnamon stick, sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest; stir the mixture occasionally so not to burn.
- Cook until rhubarb is soft and mixture thickens, about 8 to 10 minutes; cool completely& remove cinnamon stick.
- Cream Layer: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or alternatively with an electric hand mixer), whip cream until soft peaks start to form.
- Add icing sugar and increase speed to high; continue to whip cream into firm peaks.
- Fold crème fraiche and Grand Marnier into whipped cream.
- Assembly: Divide 1/3 of the cream layer equally into 6 parfait glasses; divide half the strawberry rhubarb compote equally on top of the layers of the cream layer.
- Divide another 1/3 of the cream on top of the layers of the strawberry rhubarb compote; divide remaining half of strawberry rhubarb compote equally on top of the layers of cream.
- Divide the remaining 1/3 the cream equally on top of the strawberry compote mixture.
- Garnish each parfait with a whole strawberry, sprig of lemon balm and cookie (optional).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My first rhubarb of the season and this recipe turned out to be the perfect choice. I highly recommend using some of your favorite crumbled cookies between the layers as suggested. It was a nice foil for the almost-intense sweetness. Delightful presentation as well. I plan to use the rest of the compote on tomorrow's morning toast. It'd be great on ice cream, etc., etc.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
In the words of Tracy Byrd, "I'm from the country & I like it that way"!! On May 1, 2008 my husband and I started a new adventure. We'll be living in a 37 foot RV while our new home is under construction. Its out in the country on a dead end dirt road with lots of trees. For the next 4 months or so, most meals will be cooked on the BBQ and life will be full of challenges! We love spending quality time with our friends & family - especially the grandkids!! The photo is 4 generations - my 84 year old mother, myself, my daughter & my youngest granddaughter - taken at the end of 2006. I've participated in many contests & events here on Zaar but this is the first banner that I've posted. My thanks to Dreamgoddess for hosting the contest & SusieD for the banner design! <img src="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/Dreamgoddess555/Narrow1-1.jpg">