Strawberry-Orange Surprise Cupcakes
- Ready In:
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons low sugar orange marmalade
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (or Splenda For Baking or Sun Crystals Granulated Blend)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil or 1/4 cup style extra-light vegetable oil spread, melted
- 1⁄4 1/4 cup frozen fat-free liquid egg product, thawed or 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces softened neufchatel cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup low sugar marmalade
- 3 drops red food coloring
- orange strip
- fresh strawberry slices
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350. Line tweleve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups. Coat cups with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, gently stir together diced strawberries and orange marmalade; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture. Whisk just until combined. Add finely shredded orange peel and gently stir.
- Spoon 1/2 of the batter into prepared muffin cups. Evenly spoon strawberry mixture over batter in muffin cups. Bake 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with frosting. Store frosted cupcakes in refrigerator. Garnish with orange peel strips and fresh strawberry slices before serving.
- Orange Cream Cheese Frosting: In a medium bowl, beat Neufchatel with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in greek yogurt. Stir in marmalade (frosting will thin slightly). If desired, tint frosting pink with a few drops red food coloring. Cover and chill frosting 4-24 hours before piping on cakes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I liked these. i made two rounds of them. First time going by the recipe, modified a touch the second time. The second batch mixed the strawberries/marmalade mix right into the batter, felt it got a better flavor trough the cupcake upon baking (first time the fruit mix seemed to get pushed out byt the rising batter). I also used strawberry greek yogurt rather than plain, this added a bit more flavir and countered some of the sourness of the plain yogurt.<br/><br/>Overall, very pleased and would make them again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Square Meals Make Round People - Author Unknown <br /><br />Do It With Love---It Will Taste Better - Author Unknown <br /><br />I joined zaar in 2002 but I really didn't use it much on until 2006 after my computer crashed and I lost all my unsaved recipes. Now I post all recipes I've tried or would like to try. I'm actually making it my goal to try almost all the recipes I've posted as soon as I can. I love food and I love to eat and try different recipes. My favorite course is dessert. I love sweets! This leads me to that I did have Gastric Bypass surgery on July 25th 2008. On that note I love baking and cooking a priceless gift passed down from my grammy who I dearly loved and miss deeply. My grammy passed away 1/15/07. She was a wonderful cook and baker and taught me many things and the most valueable things was how to be a wonderful cook and baker like her. I really enjoy searching for new recipes especially here on Zaar. I'm always finding and adding to my cookbook new and exciting recipes. I also enjoy posting recipes here on Zaar as well. I really love collecting different cookbooks. I have over a 100 and growing! I collect mostly Taste Of Home & community cookbooks. The minute I get a cookbook home I sit down and I read my cookbooks from front to back like novels. I work for the Elmira City School District and YWCA. I'm raising my 8 yrs old newphew. I'm a part time college student studing Early Childhood Education, but taking time off and hoping to return soon. I live in Elmira, New York where famous writer Mark Twain did some of his writing and he once lived. I have 1 cats Samantha and 1 dog our newest member MOO MOO (my nieces dog) who are my children as I do not have any human children of my own. I lost four of my very dear children (kitty's) Callie June 2007, Miss Kitty in March 2010, my dog Angel in December 2010, and my other cat Chase in September 2011. I'm recently married on August 12th 2010. I love spending time with my niece 9 yrs old and my newphews 7 & 8 yrs old. I enjoy couponing and trading coupons. I love the internet as there's so much to look at online even though you know where I spend most of my time! I enjoy going to yard sales and estate sales every spring - fall. I love gardening and have many different pretty flowers.</p> 8724441"