Strawberry-Blueberry-Banana 4th of July Pie
photo by ennaodanoroc
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup blueberries, strawberries, and banana slices
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Add milk in gradually while stirring gently. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly. Keep stirring and cook for about 2 more minutes, and then remove from the burner.
- Stir a small quantity of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, and immediately add egg yolk mixture to the rest of the hot mixture. Cook for 2 more minutes; remember to keep stirring. Remove the mixture from the stove, and vanilla. Stir until the whole thing has a smooth consistency.
- Clean and rinse berries. If they are large cut in halves or quarters.
- Bring water to a boil over medium heat. Add sugar and strawberries and simmer until berries are tender, about 8 minutes. You will still have lumps of berries. If you want a smooth consitency, break the fruit up by pushing the berries with the back of a spoon on the side of the pan.
- Dissolve cornstach in a little water and add to fruit, stirring constantly. Add zest if desired.
- Bring to rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue stirring and allow pudding to boil a few minutes. The pudding should no longer be cloudy and regain its shine and gloss.
- Repeat steps 4-6 with the blueberries.
- Bake frozen pie crust according to a directions on the package.
- When shell is cool, dump the three pudding/fruit mixtures into the crust in 3 vertical stripes.
- Arrange strawberries on top of strawberry section, blueberries on top of blueberry section, and banana slices on top of vanilla section.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!