Stove Top Smoker Smoked Chicken Wings
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken wings, will fit on the smoker rack at one time (about 16 pieces)
- 2 tablespoons wood chips
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- hot red pepper sauce
- Chicken wings can take more assertive woods, like hickory or mesquite, but also work well.
- with mellower choices like alder or cherry.
- Trim the wings into sections, discarding the tips.
- Season 1 1/2 pounds of wings with 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt and a generous 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Smoke over medium heat until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part.
- of the drummie registers 170ºF, 20-25 minutes from the time the smoker lid is closed. Check for doneness after 20 minutes into cooking time.
- After closing the lid of the smoker, slice about 1 1/2 tablespoons butter into a heatproof mixing bowl. Set the bowl on top of the smoker to melt the butter as the wings smoke.
- When the wings are done, toss them in the butter, seasoning them with as much of your favorite hot red pepper sauce as you'd like. That, and a lot of napkins is all you need-skip the celery/blue cheese thing.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a graphic artist, living in beautiful Fort Worth, TX. Next to my love of music, cooking and trying new recipes, I am involved in animal rescue. I currently have 2 rescued Brussels Griffons, 2 foster Griffs and 3 funny parrots. I maintain a store on Cafe Press to raise funds to pay for vet bills for our rescued Brussels Griffons. Please visit our store at http://cafepress.com/griffy_rescue or our main rescue site at http://brusselsgriffonrescue.org <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/cc-banner-7-09.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hklogosm.jpg"> ZWT5 was my first, and I loved it. We had a great team. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hkban.jpg"> My current ZWT5 team banner for the first leg. <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/HKBIKE2.jpg"> We started out nice! A Hell's Kitchen Angel's graphic I made for our second leg. Things started to heat up! <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/79877/hkbanknives.jpg"> By the end, we were HOT! The banner for our last leg with all our team members! What a blast! <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"><img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/potluckpbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"><img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/Recipezaar%20Album/iplaytagin.jpg"> <img src="http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg">