Stove Top Eye of the Round
I adapted this recipe from another recipe that I came across in a Greek cookbook, omitting a couple of ingredients that I knew my family wouldn't like. It makes a very flavourful roast and is a good way to do a roast in the summer, especially if you don't have air conditioning! The leftovers make great sandwiches.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 lbs beef eye round
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Heat half the oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan.
- Add the meat and cook, turning, until brown all over.
- Return the onion mixture to the pan.
- Add the wine, stock and herbs.
- Cook, covered, over low heat for 1-1/2 hours, turning the meat once during cooking.
- Remove the meat from the pan and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- While the meat is standing, make a gravy by mixing together the flour and cold water and blending them into the remaining pan juices.
- Add a little extra stock to the pan if necessary.
- Cook until thickened and strain.
- Serve the sliced meat and gravy sprinkled with parsley.