Stir-Fried Chicken, Black Mushrooms, Bamboo Shoots and Spinach
One of my all time favorite Chinese dishes is stir-fried black mushrooms and bamboo shoots on a bed of spinach. Since one of the RSC #6 contest ingredients is chicken, it was easy to incorporate chicken pieces into this recipe. I suggest serving this tasty asian dish with white rice, Chinese tea and fortune cookies.
- Ready In:
- 12 -16 small shiitake mushrooms, soaked and cut in half
- 10 ounces fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 8 tablespoons peanut oil (substitute vegetable oil)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces chicken breasts, cut into bit size pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 cup stock
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine (sweet, not "dry" wine)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
- 5 ounces bamboo shoots (8oz. tin, Companion Brand Half and Chunk in Water)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 cup cashews (not raw, not salted)
- Preparation "A": Place the shitake/black mushrooms in a bowl and fill to the top with medium-hot water; Use a dish to cover in order to keep the mushrooms submerged in the water; soak for 30 minutes (turn after 15 minutes); Next drain and squeeze excess water from mushrooms; Then cut away the stem and cut each mushroom in half; Set aside.
- Preparation "B": Place chicken pieces in a bowl, add 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons red vinegar and 1 tablespoon oil…stir; Set aside.
- Preparation "C": In a cup add 1/3 stock, 1 tablespoon light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce, 2 tablespoons oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon wine, 1/4 teaspoon sugar…stir; set aside.
- Preparation "D": Dissolve in a cup 2 tablespoons stock and 1 tablespoon cornstarch, stir; Set aside.
- Preparation "E": Cut up bamboo shoots into bite size pieces; set aside.
- In a wok add 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 cloves chopped garlic, stir-fry for 30 seconds; Next add the chopped spinach; Stir-fry for about 3+ minutes until al dente; Drain, squeeze out some of the liquid from the spinach; Place on a serving plate and keep warm.
- In a wok add 2 tablespoons oil, 1 chopped garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds; Then add the chicken pieces; Stir-fry for about 3-5 minutes until the chicken is thoroughly cooked but not overcooked (stir often); Add cashews, stir briefly, then remove to a bowl and set aside.
- In a clean wok add 2 tablespoons oil, then 1 tablespoon chopped ginger and stir-fry 30 seconds; Next add the shitake mushrooms and stir-fry for about 1-2 minutes (add a little stock if needed); Next add the bamboo shoots and stir-fry another minute; Add Preparation "C" soy sauce and oyster sauce liquid, stir occasionally and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir Preparation "D" cornstarch and stock once again and add a small amount "As Required" (not all) until you have a thick coating on the mushrooms & bamboo shoots (That is, not a liquid sauce).
- Add the cooked chicken pieces & cashews and blend together for about 1 minute.
- Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil and then one quick stir.
- Place the chicken, mushrooms and bamboo shoots on top of the bed of spinach.
- Serve with sticky white rice, Chinese tea and fortune cookies.
- I prefer to use a non-sweet oyster flavored sauce, such as Hop Sing Lung Brand; However, most brands contain sugar (often second ingredient listed on bottle) which is perfectly acceptable.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This seems quite classic and was very filling and satisfying. The instructions were very, very clear and the timing was right on, which made things easy. I used fresh shiitake mushrooms and canned bamboo shoot tips (my first time trying these; they were delicious!) I would have liked more spinach. This is a fairly healthy dish, and I ate it with brown rice for even more nutrition.1Reply