Callaloo is Jamaican dish of greens. If you can't find it fresh, use spinach or other hearty greens.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, left on stem
- 4 4 cups spinach or 4 cups other greens
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- coarsely ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot and thyme; saute 2 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Add callaloo and tomato. Continue to saute, stirring frequently, 3-4 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are tender.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Outstanding! I love greens of any kind, but until moving to Florida, hadn't seen Callaloo in any grocery stores. Lucky me, I found canned Callaloo in Publix, and this recipe fit the bill! I imagine you could use any greens, but I don't think there's a substitute for the real thing. I really enjoyed this; it took me back to the Caribbean! Made for CQ 2016, team Pi Rho Maniacs.Reply
see 1 more