Steamed Tofu Balls With White Sauce
photo by Pearl Ishizaki
- Ready In:
- Start by soaking the dried wakame in water for about 20 minutes or until it is completely rehydrated. After soaking, use a strainer to remove the water then chop the wakame into very fine pieces.
- Finely mince the ginger and carrot.
- Drain the tofu then use a paper towel to remove excess liquid.
- Put tofu in a large bowl then use your hands to crumble it. Add the minced wakame, ginger and carrot followed by a whole piece of egg, quarter teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of sesame seeds. Mix the ingredients well until it is well-combined then divide into several equal portions depending on how many balls you would like to make.
- Tear about 30cm square piece of cling wrap then lay it flat on a cutting board or plate. Get one portion of the tofu mixture then place it at the center of the cling wrap. Pick up the corners of the cling wrap then bring it up together to enclose the tofu mixture, forming it into a somewhat-ball shape. Secure the tofu ball inside using a rubber band making sure that there are no open spaces where the tofu could come out upon cooking. Wrap the rest of the tofu mixtures repeating the same process.
- Put the tofu balls on a microwave-safe dish or bowl then cook in the microwave for about 3 minutes using 600W. Remove the tofu balls from the microwave then keep it wrapped until the white sauce is ready.
- Cut out the roots of the enoki mushrooms then use your hands to separate the mushroom pieces individually.
- Heat a skillet using medium fire. Pour half a cup of soy milk then add the enoki mushroom pieces. Season it with salt and pepper the bring to a boil. Once it boils, lower the heat then add half a teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved in a tablespoon of water. Stir continuously until the sauce thickens then remove from heat.
- Cut out the rubber bands then gently take the tofu balls from the wrap. Place the tofu balls on a serving plate then pour some of the white sauce on top before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!