Steamed Lemon Pudding With Berry Compote
- Ready In:
- softened unsalted butter, for ramekins
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, for dusting ramekins
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 lemons, zest of, finely grated
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325*F.
- Grease the insides of eight, 4 oz.
- ramekins with butter and coat with sugar.
- Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, lemon juice and egg yolks.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and lemon zest.
- In another bowl whip the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the buttermilk mixture, then fold in the egg whites, one third at a time.
- Ladle the batter into the prepared ramekins, filling them almost to the top.
- Place the ramekins in a roasting pan, and pour warm water around them, until it comes halfways up the sides of the ramekins.
- Cover with foil and bake for 18 minutes.
- REmove the foil, rotate the pan front to back, and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, until the pudding is golden and springs back when lightly touched.
- While the pudding is baking, place the blueberries in a saucepan with the sugar and cook over medium heat until the berries just start to burst.
- (You want most of the berries to stay whole) Remove from heat and fold in raspberries.
- Serve the puddings at room temperature on plates surrounded with the compote.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!