Steaks With Roasted Garlic, Shallots and Red Wine Sauce
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup beef stock
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 24 ounces beef tenderloin steaks, 1-inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup butter, chilled, cut in pieces
- Combine first 5 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 6 minutes.
- Add both stocks and boil until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes. (Sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate).
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place whole garlic cloves and shallots on 12-inch square of foil.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring 4 corners of foil together to form package; twist to seal.
- Place foil on baking sheet; roasts 30 minutes.
- Open foil and roast until garlic and shallots are tender and golden, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer garlic and shallots to platter.
- Tent with foil.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper.
- Add to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for rare.
- Transfer steaks to platter with garlic and shallots; tent with foil.
- Bring sauce to simmer.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter 1 piece at a time, whisking just until melted.
- Strain sauce into medium bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle over steaks, garlic and shallots and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!