State Fair Winning Coconut Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups shredded coconut (to top the frosting)
- 5 tablespoons Wondra Flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla
- Grease and flour two round cake pans or one large pan for a single layer cake.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream shortening. Beat in 1 and 2/3 cups sugar. Blend in vanilla and coconut extracts. Beat in egg whites.
- Blend in flour alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Using a mixer, beat on low for 2 minutes. Pour into pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Cool 10 to 15 minutes in pans, then finish cooling on racks. Cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting: Put Wondra in saucepan. Slowly blend in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until thick. Cool.
- In deep bowl, beat butter, shortening and salt. Beat in confectioner's sugar and vanilla. Beat in cooled white sauce until fluffy.
- Frost cake. Sprinkle with all of the coconut.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Cooking time does not include the time for the cake and frosting to cool.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
My mother we lost to cancer last September it was brain cancer so it took her from us so quickly,i I love an miss her so much, she loved coconut cake,l really never liked it until she made the big pretty coconut cake. I tried it an it became my favorite cake, I never watched her make it and she only made um at Christmas I've been threw her recipes and never found it Mama was the best cook very country cooking so we have a habit of not writing it down, I m from a small town in Tennessee and we pass our recipes down to one another but I sure do wish I'd had watched her bake this cake . I m going to try this I hope it turns out for.me thanks for sharing an HappyHolidays!.????
I tried the frosting and it was way too much salt. Also it tasted like eating crisco. I had to scrape the icing off the cake and I made a cream cheese icing instead and put coconut all over it. Next time I will try the seven minute icing that I have seen on the internet. I have tried flour icing but without the crisco and it is a lot better!!
I made this cake for my mom's birthday and it turned out really well. I followed the recipe exactly except for the clear vanilla extract. They didn't have it at the grocery store I went to so I just used the regular stuff. I was worried it would ruin the white color of the cake but I think it turned out just fine. The instructions were a little vague but I ended up putting 3 cups of coconut into the batter just before mixing it for the last two minutes. I used an additional cup or so on the outside for decoration. The cake was a bit crumbly because of all the coconut but it tasted really good. Thanks!