Star Fruit (Carambola) Upside-Down Cake
Beautiful and delicious!
- Ready In:
- 4 -5 star fruit, sliced and seeds removed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 passion fruit, juiced (use what you have, star fruit, citrus, etc)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange sliced star fruit in bottom of a greased 9 inch cake pan as close together as possible.
- Mix together 1/4 cup butter, brown sugar and passion fruit juice and pour into pan, turning so mixture covers bottom. Set aside.
- Cream together 1/2 cup of butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beat well.
- Mix together dry ingredients. Add flour mixture, alternately with milk, to butter mixture. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Pour into prepared cake pan. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until cake pulls away form sides of pan. Let cool for five minutes before inverting onto serving plate.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made this cake exactly to the instructions except I used self rising flour. I have a starfruit tree and a passion fruit vine. I was so excited to do this for the Superbowl today. I didn't plan on it but got a last minute invite to a party. It's 2/4/18 btw. I just moved so my kitchen is still packed in boxes. This was so easy and it turned out perfectly. I used a 9 inch round dark Teflon pan and greased it with butter flavored Crisco. I baked it 10-15 minutes longer on accident but it turned out perfect. Someone left the milk container in the fridge empty, ugh. So I improvised with 1/4 water and 1/4 sweet cream coffee creamer. This cake turned out to be the hit of the party. Thank you for a wonderful recipe. Also. I squeezed the passion fruit pulp through a strainer and used about a tbls. I'm trying to submit photo but it's not allowing me to.1Reply
see 5 more