A great way to use up those extra yellow squash. It goes really well with Thanksgiving leftovers.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 medium yellow squash
- 3 tablespoons flour, heaping
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Cut the squash into approximately 1-inch chunks.
- Cook until tender; either by boiling in water on the stove or cooking for about 9 minutes, stirring once, in the microwave.
- Drain well and puree in blender.
- Mix all ingredients, except nutmeg, well.
- Pour into greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake 350° for at least 45 - 60 minutes, or until set. (The original recipe says 35 minutes, but it's still like soup at that point for me.).
- Serve warm or cold.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made it with butternut squash, cut it in half lengthwise, scooped out the seeds, brushed the cut sides with olive oil, and baked until tender at 350 for one hour in my regular oven. Then the mashed squash was added to the mix, but I used dark and light brown sugar and white sugar in scant 1/3 cup measures; I think 1/4 cup each would work. Baked it in a ceramic round casserole dish at 350 for an hour. The brown sugars made a tasty edge around the top. Since it's summer and plenty hot outside this could be made in a toaster oven on the patio, same time but at 325. This is so delicious! There were nice chunks of squash since I didn't use a blender. Had some for breakfast and it's sitting good.Reply
see 6 more