photo by Yoster
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Cut the squash into approximately 1-inch chunks.
- Cook until tender; either by boiling in water on the stove or cooking for about 9 minutes, stirring once, in the microwave.
- Drain well and puree in blender.
- Mix all ingredients, except nutmeg, well.
- Pour into greased casserole dish. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake 350° for at least 45 - 60 minutes, or until set. (The original recipe says 35 minutes, but it's still like soup at that point for me.).
- Serve warm or cold.
I made it with butternut squash, cut it in half lengthwise, scooped out the seeds, brushed the cut sides with olive oil, and baked until tender at 350 for one hour in my regular oven. Then the mashed squash was added to the mix, but I used dark and light brown sugar and white sugar in scant 1/3 cup measures; I think 1/4 cup each would work. Baked it in a ceramic round casserole dish at 350 for an hour. The brown sugars made a tasty edge around the top. Since it's summer and plenty hot outside this could be made in a toaster oven on the patio, same time but at 325. This is so delicious! There were nice chunks of squash since I didn't use a blender. Had some for breakfast and it's sitting good.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a Virginia girl who loves my Shenandoah Valley. My best friend and sister is "Marg" of Recipezaar. Her beautiful pictures make many of my recipes more appealing. :) My passion is my wonderful husband and homeschooling my two teen sons. It's a good thing I like to cook because they all have "man size" appetites!