Springerle (Molded Christmas Cookies)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 15mins
- Beat eggs until very light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar; beat for 15 minutes.
- DO NOT under beat.
- Fold in anise extract and flour.
- Roll dough 3/8-inch thick.
- Thoroughly flour springerle mold or rolling pin.
- Press molds firmly to dough.
- Cut cookies apart and place on greased and floured cookie sheet.
- Let dry overnight at room temperature, covered with paper towels, or uncovered.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place cookies in oven and immediately reduce temperature to 300°F.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cookies should not brown.
- Store cookies 2 to 3 weeks to mellow flavor.
- These cookies are very hard and may be used for dunking in coffee, tea or cocoa.
- For Christmas, paint designs with egg yolk colored with food coloring.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is the basic recipe that my husband brought back from Germany about 48 years ago. The difference I make is sprinkling anise seed on the sheets and laying the molded cookes on top. As they dry they press into the anise. (rather than flouring the sheets) These can also be done substituting other flavorings such as lemon or orange oilReply