Split Pea & Green Pea Orzo Salad
- Ready In:
- 1 cup split peas
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen tiny peas
- 4 ounces orzo pasta (about 10 tablespoons)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 24 butter lettuce leaves, rinsed and crisped
- mint sprig
- fresh thyme sprig
- salt and pepper
- Sort through split peas, discarding any debris; then rinse and drain peas. In a 2-quart saucepan, bring broth to a boil over high heat. Add split peas and dried thyme. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until split peas are tender to bite (about 25 minutes); drain and discard cooking liquid. Transfer the split peas to a large bowl, add frozen peas, and mix gently but thoroughly. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until mixture is cool. (about 3 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a 4-5 quart saucepan, bring about 8 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat; stir in pasta and cook until just tender to bite, about 5 minutes (or cook according to package instructions). Drain, and rinse with cold water, and drain well again. Transfer pasta to bowl with peas. Add onions and chopped mint; mix gently. In a small bowl, beat oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice until blended. Add to pea mixture; mix gently but thoroughly.
- To serve, line 4 individual plates with lettuce leaves; top each plate equally with pea mixture. Garnish salads with mint and thyme sprigs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!