Split Pea and Rice Soup
photo by Kaarin
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 1 cup dried split peas
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Rinse the peas.
- Put them in a soup pot with 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 45-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent.
- Mix in the spices and saute for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Set aside.
- When peas are cooked, stir in the onion mixture along with the stock.
- Add the lemon juice and cooked rice and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the parsley and gently reheat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<embed src="http://walkertracker.com/badge/v1/flashbadge.swf?id=Ms*Bindy&date=20070316" width="140" height="200" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></embed> <a href="http://walkertracker.com/walker.php?Ms*Bindy&i=1eb0d8f2e3b" title="A walking community for pedometer geeks">View Ms*Bindy's Step Blog at Walker Tracker</a>