Splendid Lettuce Salad With Thousand Island Dressing
"'Oh, Anne, mayn't I help you cook the dinner?' implored Diana. 'You know I can make splendid lettuce salad.'" (from Anne of Avonlea, by L.M. Montgomery) The recipe is from the Anne of Green Gables Cookbook. I usually substitute a yellow or other colored bell pepper for the green.
- Ready In:
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
Splendid Lettuce Salad
- 1⁄2 small head iceberg lettuce
- 1⁄2 small head romaine lettuce
- 12 large spinach leaves
- 2 small celery ribs
- 1 small green pepper
- 1⁄2 cucumber
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom
- To make dressing, mash the hard-boiled egg with a fork in a small bowl. Measure and add the rest of the ingredients and stir.
- To prepare salad, fill a basin with very cold water. Separate the leaves of the iceberg and romaine lettuce and swish them around in the water. Tear the stems off the spinach leaves and discard them. Put the leaves into the cold water with the lettuce.
- Cut the celery, green pepper, cucumbers, and tomatoes into bite-sized pieces and set aside in large bowl. Slice the mushrooms thinly and add them to the rest of the vegetables.
- Dry the lettuce with paper towels, tear them into bite-sized pieces, and add them to the other vegetables. Toss the salad.
- Dry the spinach leaves with paper towels. Line the salad bowl with the spinach leaves so that they peek out around the edge.
- Mound the tossed salad in the middle. Serve in individual bowls with a dollop of Thousand Island dressing.