Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 6 mushrooms, large
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained-squeezed dry
- 3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 slice white bread, made into crumbs
- 1 tablespoon egg substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- Remove and chop stems of mushrooms, reserving the caps.
- In 9" skillet, heat olive oil, add garlic and cook over medium high heat until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add chopped mushrooms and spinach, cook, stirring frequently, until moisture has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer spinach to medium sized mixing bowl; add cheese, bread crumbs, egg substitute, oregano, and pepper; stir to combine.
- Fill each reserved mushroom cap with an equal amount of spinach (you probably will not use all the spinach mixture); arrange in 1 quart casserole.
- (At this point, you might refrigerate it for later.).
- Put 2 tablespoons water into bottom of casserole and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and lightly browned.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My first review has disappeared into the fourth dimension! Or been Magic-Mushroomed away! So, I'll start again: great recipe, really clear instructions and very easy to make. Well, better than easy: to my eye, stuffed mushrooms are always so aesthetically appealing, so making them is a real joy. The filling was wonderfully creamy and superbly flavoursome! I used large field mushrooms so they took ample filling. This meant adding a bit more feta, and using all the spinach. The only changes I made were to double the garlic (personal taste preference), to use an egg rather than egg substitute which I've never used, and to add some thyme as well as the oregano. Heavenly to eat! I'll be making these again and again, and probably experimenting with other herbs. Thanks for sharing this truly wonderful recipe, WiGal!