Spinach Salad With Warm Gorgonzola Dressing
- Ready In:
- 2 (10 ounce) bags Baby Spinach (purchase the washed and ready to use bags)
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (use only red onion for this)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced black olives (can use more or less olives)
- 12 slices bacon, cut into about 1-inch pieces (can use more or less bacon)
- 2 cups gorgonzola
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- salt and black pepper
- In a small bowl whisk together all dressing ingredients, season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Place the baby spinach in a large glass bowl, and toss with black pepper and a small amount of salt (or omit the salt).
- Arrange the sliced mushrooms, sliced onions and olives on top (you can cover and chill while making the bacon and warmed cheese mixture).
- In a frypan cook the bacon pieces until crisp; remove to a paper towel and pour off all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Add in the cheese, whipping cream and the wine vinegar/Dijon mixture; stir until cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth (DO NOT BOIL!).
- Pour the warm dressing over the salad, or serve on the side.
- Sprinkle with cooked bacon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This might be a better salad served at adult gatherings. The children here didn't like its chalky flavor, which I attribute to the gorgonzola cheese. A more kid-friendly spinach salad is #95532. Otherwise, I bet most adults (and sophisticated kids) who like to try different cheese flavors will love this. I did.