Spinach Pie - Spanakopita
This recipe was given to my by my dear friend. She's Turkish and this is her family's recipe. I've made this several times and it always moves like hotcakes!! Everyone always asks me for the recipe so I'm posting it here.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 20 sheets phyllo dough, thawed (20 sheets)
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 16 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 -3 garlic cloves (depending on size and preference)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided (2 tablespoons for spinach, 4 TBS melted for brushing Phyllo)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Saute onion over medium heat in a large pan for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add frozen spinach, 2 TBS butter, Lemon Juice, Nutmeg and Cinnamon.
- Saute until the spinach is thawed.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Saute for 5 more minutes.
- Turn off heat and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut spinach mixture into small pieces using either 2 knives or a spatula.
- Drain off any excess surface liquid. (Do not thouroughly press the liquid out of the spinach mixture as you want some substance moisture, just drain off enough so that it's not liquidy).
- Melt remaining 4TBS butter in a bowl or glass measuring cup.
- Brush the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with melted butter.
- Layer the dish with half of the phyllo dough (10 sheets) brushing every other layer with the melted butter.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly over the phyllo dough.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese.
- Continue to layer with the rest of the phyllo dough (10 sheets) brushing every other layer with butter.
- Using a sharp knive cut the top layers of phyllo into squares. (Only cut through to the filling, DO NOT cut through the bottom layers of phyllo).
- Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove foil and continue to bake until the top is golden brown (1/2 hour).
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Cut through the bottom layers of phyllo and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION