Spinach & Mushroom Lentil Loaf
photo by palousebrand
- Ready In:
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup mushroom, diced
- 2 cups fresh Baby Spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon Braggs liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, roughly chopped
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats, separate in half
- 1⁄2 cup almond flour
- 3⁄4 cup spicy vegan barbecue sauce
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil and add lentils, reduce heat to a slow rolling boil for approximately 30 minutes, or till tender. Drain, cool and separate volume into 1½ cups and ½ cup measures.
- Place flax seeds in a small bowl and pour boiling water over, stir to combine well, set aside and allow to cool and thicken.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic, sauté for approximately 6 minutes, until the onions are tender. Add carrots and mushrooms and continue to cook for approximately 4 minutes until carrots and mushrooms are tender. Add thyme and spinach, cooking approximately 2 minutes until spinach is wilted. Add in Braggs and ½ cup of the Spicy BBQ Sauce – combine all ingredients by stirring. Turn the heat off and add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.
- Using a food processor, process 1½ cups of the cooked lentils and ½ cup of the oats until smooth, (if there are a few bits remaining, that’s ok), place mixture in a large bowl. Add in remaining lentils and oats. Add the flax mixture, almond flour and cooked vegetable mixture. Stir to combine and then use your hands to finish mixing and slightly mashing together. All ingredients are now together and ready to spoon into a 9”x5” loaf pan. Make certain you press the mixture into the loaf pan firmly.
- Spread ¼ cup of BBQ sauce on top of the lentil loaf.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes and cool for approximately 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
We grow garbanzo beans, split peas, lentils & wheat berries. Non-GMO Verified & Kosher Parve straight from our fields to you. Now we are bringing you gourmet recipes featuring our products for more check out www.palousebrand.com.